Friday, March 26, 2010

Editorial; More women to work population

At the Toastmasters' activity, I'm working out new manual, which is "Communicating on Television." This is for practices as a news anchor or TV host, or PR of a company, or professional instructor. I mean, any person who appears on TV.
I will not appear on TV, but I thought the practices were interesting.

My first assignment is "speaking an editorial." I have to speak out my opinion for recent news.
My biggest concern has been how hard for Japanese mothers to work outside.
Here is my "editorial."

Title: Find out the latent economic blessing

France; 80%. Japan; 60%. Can you guess what the percentages are? They mean, in France, 80 % of women in their 30’s are working, compared to just 60% in Japan. 
What do the other 40% of Japanese women do in their 30’s?
Most of them are mothers and many of them want to work, but they can’t.

Take a look at this graph. (Sorry, I can't show YOU the graph here!)
The line indicates how many children wait for entering authorized preschools.
These columns are the capacity of authorized preschools.
The number of mothers who want to work, leaving their kids at preschools, has increased.
But there are not enough preschools to take care of the children.
So-called, “standing-by” kids for entering preschools are more than 25,000.

However, according to a trial calculation by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, the actual number is more than 800,000 because most of mothers give up to apply for authorized preschools or some of them don’t have preschools in their neighborhood.

I’m in my 30’s, and don’t have a child so far.
However, if I become a mother, I would be the one of the mothers of these kids.
I teach English at a language school. If I become a mother, firstly, it would be very hard for my kid to be approved from an authorized preschool in my area. Even if my kid would enter a preschool, I can’t skip my classes even when my kid gets sick.
My parents are in Hokkaido, and my in-law’s live in Mie, so I can’t rely on my parents to raise my kid.

Today, Japan has a working population of 66 million people. The non-working population is 45 million. Among them, 40 % of them are the elderly or housewives.
A decade from now, the working population is expected to drop by 5 million. Japan has declining birthrate and the fastest rate of aging population in the world. To make our country prosperous, we have to take actions immediately to get the latent economic blessing, I mean, to let many women work outside.

I would like to suggest two approaches.
One is for the government. I would like to suggest abolishing the child-rearing allowance, which is 26,000 yen per kid every month. The total amount of the allowance is 5 trillion and 5 thousand hundred million yen per year.
The total expenditure for all authorized preschools in Japan is about 1 trillion. It means, we could have 5 times more preschools if the government decides to abolish child-rearing allowance.

The other approach is for the companies. Work-sharing, complete child-care leave, flex time system… There are not enough companies making these effort to let women continue to work after they become mothers.

The government and companies should promptly start working on this issue.

No comments: