Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Promising performance, Promising people

I delivered a speech at the Toastmasters' meeting tonight.
The speech was project #1 of the "Communicating on Television" manual, the editorial, the one I published in the"Editorial; more women to work" article on this blog.

My performance was not bad, but not perfect. I practiced a lot, but I stopped once(in a few seconds,) wondering a number was correct, even though I repeated the number tons of times.
I just recalled the World Champion Ship Figure Skating. Mao Asada said, "I'm glad about not only getting the gold medal, but also performing "almost" perfectly."
...I understand her feeling (even though our levels are so much different...) "Performing perfectly" is VERY difficult!!

To make the performance perfectly, the important things are; practice, feedback, and challenge.
Practice; I can never give a good performance unless I practice a lot.
Feedback; Listen to objective advice, look back your performance video or listen to your recorded speech many times. Learn from these, and turn the previous experience to advantage.
Challenge: Try to deliver new types of performance. If I stay my comfort zone, I'll never improve.

If I keep them in my mind, I think (I hope) my performance will be promising ones.

By the way, today, one guy came back as a member.
He might be...a boy. He is Yuta, a high school student, just became 18 years old.
He had been busy with studying for entering exam of a prestigious university, but he passed that. So, he came back to us.

In my club, most members are career women who are in their 30's to 50's.
Think about the scene. There is one young VERY cute boy among around-40 women & middle aged women(we have several male members too, but the are Ojisan. Yuta is just outstanding!)
Yuta is like...a little sheep among wild wolves???

Anyway, a common 18 year old boy doesn't match our gathering.
However, he is very...capable. Capable for any roles, capable for any speeches, capable as a resourceful member. He is very friendly, obedient to ask anything, and assertive enough to express his opinion. Especially, among his comments and speeches, we can see his consideration to everyone.
Sometimes I meet such a promising young person.
If I can find one of them per year, I think I'm lucky. I mean, there is not so many young people like Yuta, but they EXIST regardless of their nationalities.

I'm not young enough to be a "promising" girl, but I would like to keep challenging to make "promising" performances.

No comments: