Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Self Investment

This afternoon, I was in the headquarters of Nikkei (Nihon Keizai Newspaper) in Otemachi.
I attended a seminar. The title is "Discover your real English ability. The subtitle is "You can get to understand English news articles EFFORTLESS." ...Why didn't I go???

I've subscribed to two English newspapers. Although they are weekly papers, I don't catch up the recent issues, lately. Right now, the issue I read is one-month ago's!
I know my problem. When I read English articles, I just "read through" and leave nothing on my mind, unless I'm very interested in the article. I also know that is the main culprit why I haven't passed the first grade of EIKEN & why I don't understand English speeches sometimes.

In the seminar, the instructor taught us "three way system to read English."
He used three colors to analyze English sentences.
Red; traditional five sentence patterns of English
Green; Modification for verbs
Blue; Modification for nouns
He said any long English sentences can be analyzed by those three patterns.
Yes, he is right... I explain the same thing to my students, but his theory was very simple and easier to understand.

After the rewarding seminar, he advertised his English classes to learn his "three way system" more specifically. I felt like I would like to take his classes....BUT.
Since I came back to Japan, I'm very careful about "investing in English education" because I had already "invested" for it a lot when I was in America!
Maybe, his class was not a bad investment. One class (one and a half hour long) is 4,000 yen. The class is small, just 5-10 students. However, I should take the "course," so it would be 50,000yen for 3 months. If I can shell out 50,000yen...I can "invest for myself" by getting a new cool suit!
All the time I find "likely good" English classes, I ask myself, "can I do that by myself? Probably I can!" ...So, I haven't invested in my English improvement for awhile.

...I know it's not a good sign...but when I think, "ultimate choice" between "invest in English learning" and "invest in my beauty(I mean, hair saloon, eyelash saloon, clothes, shoes...etc)," I've felt like, "surely, beauty comes first!"
I know, I know, I'm a stupid girl...

No comments: