Wednesday, March 17, 2010

English Emceeing

Tonight, I became the Toastmaster of the Day.
Toastmaster of the day conducts the Toastmasters' meeting. In other words, I was a emcee at an all-English meeting. I did it once or twice at the Toastmasters' Club in America, but it was my first time to be the emcee in a Japanese club (still, the language is English, though.)

I wanted to prepare for that earlier, but I had been so busy that I started to prepare that TODAY. Moreover, after I sent my hubby off this morning, I couldn't wake up until 12:30 pm! because...I was tired, maybe.
After I woke up, I started to gather information for the meeting, and write the script of emceeing. I don't write a script when I do wedding emcee job in Japanese. So, I wondered if not writing the script would be better to prepare for English emceeing, too...but I wanted to be safe.

During the preparation, I didn't want to eat (which is VERY rare for me,) I felt nausea, and I thought I had a mild fever(I didn't have time to measure my fever, so I didn't know it's true, though...) I said, "Can I go to the meeting tonight? I think I'm sick!!" to myself.
But I knew I was not sick. It's typical condition before I speak formally in front of people.

Then, I went to Aoyama in which our meeting is held.
The meeting started... As a result? I REALLY enjoyed emceeing!
Even though I was not VERY well-prepared, I think I did a good job.
The Toastmasters' members also gave me compliments a lot. Some members talked, "Do you know that? Keiko was a wedding emcee! No wonder why she is such a GREAT EMCEE!"

I know the Toastmasters' members always try to "compliment" a lot for our improvement.
I know I shouldn't brag it...but I was glad what I did. I was a flexible & friendly emcee, and everybody (maybe) enjoyed the meeting!
I was supposed to "sick" before the meeting. But after the meeting, I was VERY fine and went out to drink with members.

Little accomplishments like today's emceeing make me very happy.
To get those accomplishments, sometimes I need to push myself even though I feel... nausea.

No comments: