Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Royal Customers

The language school I work for is a major nationwide school.
It has been 37 years since the school founded. At my school branch, there are many students who have been studying with us over ten years. I think there are three types of the "royal customers."

1. Royal Followers
Most of them are senior students. They don't care if their teachers change, they don't even look at the tuition figure when we ask them to renew their classes. They always says, "Yes, it's fine to me" to our suggestions. For them, the location of our school and the familiarity are the important criteria. So, they don't explore new English schools, and keep coming to our classes.

2. Royal Families
Of course I don't talk about "the Japanese" royal family!
Here, "royal families" means the all members of the families are our students.
In most cases, education-conscious mothers who brought their kids to our school, started to learn English at our school as well, and the mothers recommended us to their husbands. They bring souvenirs after they take vacation. Some of the mothers copy the kids' school schedule to us. Each day from Monday to Saturday, "someone from the family" are at our school.

3. Royal...CLAIMANTS.
Mostly, they are businessmen. They are difficult, always complaining about textbooks, about self-study materials, about class schedule... It's not easy to talk with them, but anyway, they keep coming to our school.

When I ask my students to renew my classes, type 1 and 2 students are easy because I know they sign the renewal contracts without any doubts.
However, type 3 students....I know they will sign up, but I should be careful not to be unguarded.
I should be well-prepared to satisfy all of his complaints.

My student, Masaaki is one of them. Actually, I thought he is not going to sign up for the renewal. Because our new head teacher made a mistake when he explained Masaaki's renewal, and Masaaki's TOEIC score hadn't improved lately.
I "believed" it was not all of my fault. I tried to suggest some ways of studying to him, but he always "believed" he couldn't do that, he didn't like that, etc. He is just...difficult!

However, today, he signed up the renewal, finally. Because he likes the textbook I recommended, ans he knew yesterday that he got the best score of TOEIC!
I was relieved. I was relieved not to lose one of my "royal" students. At the same time, I was terrified I should be "royal" to him after awhile... Bless me!!

No comments: