Saturday, September 20, 2008

Clue of Solutions

Today, I had a follow-up training for teaching kids' English at the headquarters.
I was looking forward to having it! Since I started to teach them three months ago, I got many "mysteries" that I didn't imagine when I had a new teacher training.

The trainers are young ladies, but they are very experienced teachers.
They are obviously "the cream of the crop," so in demo lessons, they treated teaching goods like magicians, changed their impersonation like puppeteers, and did gestures like panto mimers. I can't do that right now, but their demo lessons were like entertainment! They said, "You can use gestures and impersonation to have your kids understand English sentences. Think about the time when you learn Russian or something, which is the language you have never learned. Kids who start to learn English are the same. So, be an actor, and be hyper all the time when you are teaching English!"
Well, that is difficult when I have to teach three consecutive kids' classes...

However, I feel grateful about our school's training system!!
I asked my trainer some advice about my naughty 4-5 years old boys who are always running, deny to take our teaching materials,hit and kick each other, and try to take their pants off each other. I thought they were extremely handfuls, but the trainer said with a big smile,
"Well, they have no problem! It is clear that they like you so much!
They don't skip classes & not try to escape from your class. They like you very much. They are trying to figure out how much you "let them free" because you are so kind. I have some solutions! ...(omission)... If they don't work for the boys, I have another suggestions. You know, some new teachers often call us and ask advice. Don't hesitate to make contacts with us! Call me anytime!!"

I have been troubled with those kids for three months, but now I finally found "the clues of the solutions." I will write what kind of solutions I was told, later.
But today...I'm thankful, and very sleepy!! Good night☆

2 comments:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

I can imagine how hard to teach naughty kids. They like to test the limit, you know. The important thing I think is to make it clear that "who is the boss?" That's why I am against the idea of the friends-like family. I am the MOTHER and always will be!!

keiko said...

Hello Junko chan,

Thank you for posting & sorry I haven't written my coment back on a former article!
I've been messing up...

Yes, letting them know "who is the boss?" is very important when we teach kids.
However, since we, teachers meet kids just once or twice a week, our school's principle is mostly," praise them, love them, and make them love English. Always do."
Recently, I tend to discipline them. But I think my approach was not the best as a teacher...
But I guess, mothers should be stricter...
Well, it's not easy to raise people!!