Thursday, September 04, 2008

Cultural Difference

At school, when I made the school's brochures with Sam, who just arrive in Japan from Australia a few weeks ago, he started to talk about "culture shock" experience.

"When I went to my new apartment with a manager, Rie, I was about to enter my room. Then Rie screamed, "No!" I had my shoes on.
Last weekend, I went shopping. When I was getting in a dress room, a clerk also screamed, "No!" I had my shoes on.
It's very hard to recognize where I have to take my shoes off! Why do you take off yous shoes in houses, or even dress room??"

Why... I wanted to ask him,
"Why didn't you take off your shoes inside houses!?? It seems uncomfortable!!"
But I didn't. I talked to my student, Yumi, who was there listening to our conversation.
"He is saying, Yumi. How would you explain?"

Then, Yumi, an university student who are from Kyoto, said.
"Well, I remember my grandmother said to me,"If you come in a house having your shoes on, your happiness will get out from the house because you bring outside dirt into the house."

...I see! Even I have never heard the Japanese belief, the Australian was quite persuaded.
"Wow, now I'm embarrassed! I should pray to come my happiness back to my apartment! As well as the boutique's dress room, too!"

Sam said he came to Japan because he wanted to live in the different culture.
Well, now you are doing it!

No comments: