Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Good Listener

A few days ago, I received e-mail from my friend.
The last time I sent her e-mail was 5 months ago. She invited me a party, but I couldn't make it because of work. I told her so, and let her know how I had been getting along. She didn't reply to me, but now she did ( I knew it because her e-mail's title was just "re: ( my title of the former mail)."
She didn't mention about my former mail, wrote about herself, and asked me a question.

...I don't want to say I didn't feel good about her e-mail, because it happens sometimes. However, when I feel "oh, s/he is not a good listener!", I tend to keep a distance from her/him. I don't do it deliberately, but the principle is simple.
"I can't enjoy being with people who are not good listeners." Except for some people who are truly entertainers & can make us laugh just talking about themselves, I think we need to be "good listeners." Why? because we, human beings have natural desire which tells "please listen to me!"

I love having a conversation which is "catch ball."
For example, if I ask her, "How are you? How's your work? How's your family?"
She replies, "I've been great. Thank you for asking! How about you? Do you enjoy your new job?" etc, etc.
It seems "common knowledge," but some people can't do this.
When I talk with those people, I feel like I am doing "dodge ball."
S/he just throws his ball (keep talking about their own topics,) and I don't have a ball to throw( I can't talk about myself because they seem not be interested in.)

I heard the Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt, always "ask" and "listen to" other people's talks. He said, "It's because as long as I listen to, I can get information I might not know!" I think he is the real clever.

So, why do I keep this blog? Because here is the only place I can keep "talking" about myself! Yes, the blog is the place where the writer can play "dodge ball."
You don't "have to" catch my ball. But if you have time to see my game, please join!

No comments: