Friday, November 21, 2008

Arrogance

Today, I want to talk about two topics. (Sorry if you are confused!)
1. Is a blog a "personal journal," or a "public Web site"?
2. Is that your "advice," or do you just want to brag "I know better than you?"

While I was in America, I got a few e-mails from the same woman. I think I rarely get mad usually, but those mails made me very uncomfortable. (Sorry, I'm obsessive!)
The e-mails were a kind of her "advice" about what I was working on.
She said, "I don't know why you're obsessed with that. You should go another way."
Of course she wasn't so straight, but the bottom line was that.

I had no idea why she said so. My questions were;
1. If she says it's a piece of advice, what did she give me "the advantage" ? Nothing!
2. Is she my mother who are concerned about my future? No! Are we such close friends? No!
3. What is her advantage of this advice? I don't know if she realized or not, but she just wanted to say, "I know better than you." ...But, is that her "advantage?" I never understand it!
4. Is she a professional of the field which I have been working on? If so, her mail may be the real "advice." But she is not! I am the one who have been working on the field. Isn't it rude of her to say that to me??

I wrote back my opinion to her. ( I tried to be calm!)
But she has never responded about the issues. My questions went deeper.
So, what did she want???

However, everybody may have the "arrogance" as long as we are imperfect human beings. I also have it!
Let me give you an example. I know I'm not smart, but I'm proud of my English improvement. Of course my English is still far from "perfect." If "you" live in the U.S. for four years and a half, you will improve in it better than me!
However, if I compared "myself" who was quite lazy before to me right now, I'm different!

That's why, I may have given "unnecessary advice" to my friends who started to live in English speaking countries later than me. But basically, when I brag about something, I try to say it clearly, like, "Can I brag about something? Thank you for your kindness!"
Because I know "brag looks like advice" is disgusting!

Now, let me go back to the very first question.
Is a blog a personal journal or private Web site?
To me, my blog is very personal. I don't care if nobody posts comments, even nor read it! But some people want many people to read theirs.
However, for both kinds of writers, I think blogs are the records of their lives, and the place to say what we want to say.
That is tricky! Some of my friends have experienced to have critics about their articles, or warnings. For example, "that was rude." or "inappropriate!"
Sometimes I also think "I don't agree with you..." when I am reading my friends' blogs.
However, I won't say it! Because her blog is "her territory!" I'm a "personal journal type" of a blog.
...In contrast to, people whose types are "private Web site" post any comments?
But I still have a question... "Are you her friend, aren't you? Why are you being so aggressive??"

Anyway, I should be careful about being arrogant. Bragging and trying to be supportive are different!

...Even though I said "I never care if nobody reads my blog (sometimes could be brag!??,) I appreciate your time of reading today's unpleasant & disorganized article!!
Have a nice day☆

No comments: