Friday, November 28, 2008

Translator

This week is kids' parent's observation week of foreign teachers' classes.
Since they (foreign teachers) can't speak Japanese, I observe their classes, and be a translator of the meeting with the mothers.

Frankly speaking, I think maybe I have...never been a "translator" for something.
Before I went to America, I rarely speak English. When I was in America, there were many Japanese friends who spoke English better than me. After I came back to Japan, I was asked to do that once, but that was just after I came back here, so technically I couldn't.
Then, now...I couldn't deny it because I am a professional English teacher!

I didn't know what would be going on, and how to do it.
But I thought it would be OK. Eventually, it WAS OK!
I had no (big) problems about translating...but I figured out it's a difficult job!
Translating itself is not easy of course, but what I felt harder was "to remember what s/he said." After a mother talked about her concern of her kid for a few minutes, it was hard for me to "remember" what she said first and middle!
I want to have a training to be a translator someday, but it must be a hard one!!

However, after the meeting, one mother came to me, and said.
"How amazing your English is! Your pronunciation is like a native speaker!"
...I said, "Thank you!" to her, but in my mind, I said..."what are you talking about? I just spoke very fast to avoid that you find my grammatical mistakes! My pronunciation also is not good, basically!"
But if she believes so, maybe I "can deceive" her...it's OK!

Actually, the mother is also our student. Her level is intermediate.
She said, "I want you to teach my daughter as a private teacher! I know how efficient to take English lessons from a Japanese teacher, as well. We can ask you complicated questions in Japanese!"

Yeah....right! If my imperfect translating causes to get a new customer(class,) it means something! I'm relieved I could do something for the school even though I'm a such an "not fluent" English teacher!

No comments: