Friday, December 05, 2008

Complaint

I don't want to "complain" just two days after I wrote about "compliments," but I do!

One of my private students, Tokijoro, is 60-year-old entrepreneur.
He has been taking our private lessons for one year and a half.
He went to Australia a few weeks ago, and came back to my lesson today.
I was looking forward to listening to his English experience there, but...

Tokijiro said, "Keiko sensei! In Australia, I felt miserable! I have been learning English for one year and a half, but I couldn't understand what they were saying!"
I tried to comfort him, "Well, I'm sure you have improved! You could understand some, and you could say what you want to tell, right?"
He nodded but still doubted, "Yeah, you're right... But just a little improvement! I haven't been motivated lately. I don't think I can become a good English speaker someday. What can I get as the outcome? When I finish this textbook, how much will I have improved?"

Well... Frankly speaking, it's very long way for him, an English beginner, to be able to understand everything what native speakers said & say what he wants to in English fluently.
Even I haven't reached that level!!

I explained what we aim to use that textbook. I assimilated language learning process to climbing Mt.Fuji. If you look at the summit from the roots, you would think it's impossible. But it's not so hard to get the first stage if you keep climbing...and just keep doing it day by day! Someday, you will be surprised how you have climbed such a high place!

I talked with him for one hour, and recommended some ways of studying.
But he wasn't convinced. Some people become very pessimistic even they haven't tried!
Tokijiro said he had been working hard. However, to me, it's not enough if he aims such a high level!
As he studies hard, I can guarantee he will get an "English sense."
But he is impatient! He also complained how he became a slow learner lately because of age. I understand his frustration, though...

The most difficult thing for English teachers is not how to teach.
How to motivate the students!!

No comments: