Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Gaps

This afternoon, I gave prospective kid students a trial lesson.
They were 6-years-old. They were friends, and their mothers were also friends.
This pattern is not so pleasant for us...because most cases, "duo" or "trio" mothers tend to be demanding more than "single" (I don mean "not married." I mean, "comes to school alone with her kid.") mothers.

After all, the mothers said to me, "Your teaching is good. But, we have to say two things. First, please don't add "chan" after the name. It's a Japanese way. Second, talk to our kids in all English even outside the class. We want to give them 100% English circumstance."
Ah....

First, adding "chan" or "kun" after a name is a Japanese custom, so some mothers don't want us to call them by their first names only, especially, in front of the parents.
Second, of course we, Japanese teachers, talk to students 100% English in class, but outside the classes, sometime we talk in Japanese. Because we want to communicate them! We want to get their information!

I explained I spoke to them in Japanese because I wanted to get along with them first, and calling was a delicate issue. But I wanted to satisfy them, so eventually, I said, "OK. I will do whatever you want."

I understand their opinion, but...they overshot, don't they??

The characteristic demanding mothers have another common point...
Today's mothers added, "Talk to our kids in English. But, don't talk to us in English. We don't understand it."

...Yes, mothers who don't speak English expect too much kids English classes!!

Mothers, why don't YOU start learning English???
I think you need to do it as much as your kids need to!!

No comments: