Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Fashion Commentator

This morning, I rushed into the office. When I set my time recorder on the computer, the head teacher, Toshi, cast a pleasant voice.
"Keiko sensei, you are wearing the hair accessory that Rie gave you as a birthday present! It suits you perfectly!"

Then, we started a business meeting. I placed my new pen with lots of crystals (of course they are fake!!)on the desk, then, Toshi was surprised and said..."Wow! This pen is fantastic! It seems you, Keiko sensei! It's sophisticated & sparkling!!"

...Can't you believe him?
Toshi is a guy who are in his early 30's. He can always "notice" my new hair accessories, blouses, or even pens!!
Don't take it wrong! "Of course" he isn't flirting with me!!
He is always doing it, to anybody! All of our stuff & students.
Everyday he says, "Oh, your suit is new! I like it!"
"Your coat is just gorgeous! It looks warm, and has high qualities!"
"You got a hair cut? It looks nice!!" etc, etc...

Even to kids.
"Wow, Mai, you have several cute bears on your T-shirt! They are so cute like you!
I know you like bears! I like bears, too!!"
"Yuta, your pants look so exclusive! I like those materials! They are very unique!
You always look good on anything!! You are a handsome boy!!" etc, etc...

I think this is one of his philosophies.
He knows we(teachers) have to be great communicators. But we shouldn't ask them about their private matters persistently. Also, if we always talk about English study things, that's also too much for some students. Especially, when we talked with students who are not "my" students, we don't have specific information about them.
"Making nice comments on their fashion" is always a good way to communicate!

Even to kids. If we keep saying something nice about their fashion, they are gradually getting "obedient" to us. Because? everybody wants to be praised!!
Of course we always try to praise them about their hard working.
But before we start the English lessons, "making nice comments about fashion" becomes great lubricant to anybody.

Toshi was a cameraman who took pictures of people. He had to open their minds quickly. Then, he praised something about their fashion. he said.
I think it's a clue why he can always achieve "the desirable sale figure" of our school.
When he tries to convince some students, most of them took the lessons or study materials he recommeds!
That is not only reason, though...

Today, I was so impressed by Toshi, so I said.
"How amazing you always notice our new fashion!"
He smiled scenically.
"Yeah! And actually, I'm a very bitter critic about fashion!"

Really?? What is he thinking in his mind??
...Scary!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toshi先生、奥深し…。
服とかをきっかけに雰囲気を和ませていくっていうのは、私の仕事でも使ってるなあ。うちの業界では「波長合わせ」と呼ぶよ。

keiko said...

なるほど、波長あわせかぁ!
レイナは、心理学も専門だもんね!!
そういう効果って、ちゃんと確認されているんだね。。

ところで、私もトシ先生みたいにちゃんと気づかなきゃ!とおもって、今日(木曜日)、トシ先生に、「先生、髪切りましたよね! わかりますよ! 似合ってますよー♪」って満面の笑みで言ったら、「ボク、髪切ったの日曜日ですよ! ケイコ先生、気づいてなかったんだ、ひどーい!」と笑われてしまいました。

女性ならともかく、男の人を褒めるのは難しいわ! 服装も、みんな一緒に見えるしな。。でも、日ごろからコメントするようにして、練習するしかないんだよね!きっと。