Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fresh

When I just got school (the secondary one) today, I found an unfamiliar co-worker. Ans as soon as I noticed...she is FRESH!
Because she looked awkward and making many photocopies of textbooks.
I was correct! When she noticed me, she said that with loud voice. "Hello, I'm Yoko! I just started to work here today. It's nice to meet you! "
Wow! Welcome! It's been five months I started to work for this school, and it's first time to meet someone who is "newer" than me!!

Actually, she would take over my classes. For some reasons, I will teach another classes, and she will teach mines. Therefore, she observed my classes.
Hahn! Being observed by a new teacher!! I am supposed to have much responsibility! She just finished new teachers' trainings. She observed "special" trainers' demo lessons. But they are so special that there are many discrepancies from "ordinary" teachers' classes!!

My classes went on well, but...when I said to Yoko, "please introduce yourself!"
She said,"Hello! I just started to work here. I used to teach kids, but it's first time to teach adults. So, I am nervous right now, but I'll do my best! Please help me!"
.........
.........
DON'T SAY THAT!!
"new" and "nervous" are banned words for teachers! It's OK to say that to co-workers, but our students might think, "What? She is inexperienced!? Do you know how much money I invested your classes?? I don't come here to help YOU!"

When I started the job, some mothers of kids' classes tried to pry my background of teaching. I just said, "Well, teaching KIDS AS A PRO is the first time for me..."
I tried to speak ambiguously. I didn't lie! But it sounded like, "I have experiences to teach ADULTS AS A PRO, and teach kids AS A VOLUNTEER."
Both of them are not true, but "Making myself LOOK LIKE a pro" is also important!

However, she was really working hard to talk with students and learning how to teach. Also, what I was surprised was the fact...she is older than me!!
She looked totally "a fresh teacher," so I believed she was quite younger than me.
And that remind of me when I just started to do this job.
I have never looked, "a new teacher!" I was asked by my co-workers, "so, which branch did you teach before?"

...That I don't look a "fresh" one means I look older???

No comments: