Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Renew the Tense

Every Tuesday, I go to my "secondary" school. My "primary" school is located along a gorgeous station of the Yamanote-line. My secondary school is at a kind of "suburb" area, where is near my house.

Today, I actually got really nervous. It was the second time to go to the secondary school, but today is my first time to teach there!
The flow of teaching is the same as my primary one, but there are some differences in detail.
Mostly, the STUDENTS are completely different people! (Of course they are...)

In the first class, I had two students. An engineer guy and an office lady. They...didn't make smile AT ALL during the class. I know they were so last week as well, but...they looked so vacant that I was worried what was wrong with me!!
After the class, when I talked with them, I noticed they just didn't understand some vocabulary. Phew!

In the last class, there were SIX students. Usually I have a few students in a class, so...I just felt "tense" unnecessarily.
I noticed I skipped an important step which is the practice of pre-activity of the teaching point. I shouldn't do that, but I knew the most important thing was "looking confident." So, I made an expression, "Don't worry! I skipped the practice because there are many students today. I will let you practice a lot later," as non-verbal language, you know...

After I left the school, I felt "Thank God, I survived!!" That was exactly the same feeling when I just started the teaching job.
Changing circumstances has "risks," but we can lean more from that experience.
Someday, "THE DAY"( when I can't work anymore!) will come. Until the time, experience a lot as possible as I can!!

No comments: