Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Zeal

In the morning, I REALLY didn't want to go to work.
Last night, I found myself failing the first grade of EIKEN (probably, unless the miracle happens...) so I wanted to neglect my "English teaching" job!
...But I knew I couldn't.

I reluctantly got up, and went to work as usual.
My first student of the day, Ryunosuke, who is a 76-year-old psychiatrist, asked me lots of questions! He said his hospital invited a eminent psychiatrist from the United States as a speaker of the conference, so he wanted to know how to ask his questions.
But what he wants to know had a lot of jargon....Having still "sleeping" brain, I was desperate to answer his questions.

But as the time lapsed, I felt better. Because I realized my students were trying harder than me!
At night classes, my private students, Masao, were in plain clothes.
"Is today your day off?"
He answered, "Half of the day is so. I felt migraine, so I went to hospital today."
...After that, he came to my class!
Masao is one of my smartest student. When I started to teach him, actually I was afraid... He is a manager of sales department at a foreign-affiliated company. He uses English daily on business, so his English is fairly good.
How can I teach him!!?? My classes worth to him??
But he is very decent guy. He had rarely been absent my classes, and decided to continue to take my classes!

After Masao's class, I welcomed another student. Ryo, a 13-year-old junior high school student and...the one always looks sleepy.
I asked him, " Did you play tennis today?? How long?"
I knew he was a kind of guy, "keeping the pen and the sword."
He said," Yeah, three hours. After that, I went back home, studied for EIKEN, and I'm here now. "
I was surprised,"You are always busy! What time do you get up?"
" 5:30am. I am taking some morning classes."

...Then, I realized.
I was always saying. "How can I juggle work, study, and house hold chore!"
But many people, including Masao and Ryo, are juggling and making an effort to study even though they are much busier than me!!
Especially, Ryo, is not a Japanese. He has been trying to acquire Japanese and English as his second & third language!!
(Some of my students including kids are international students.)

...I was impressed, and decided to work harder...
I thought I needed to have "zeal" to make my English improved, to make my students improved, and take a leadership.
But today, I had just listened to music for a long time after work, to be RELAXED!

...Tomorrow is another day. That is a good expression!!

No comments: