Monday, October 27, 2008

Guarantee

A few days ago, the manager, Rie, told me, "Your private student, Mamoru, his mother wants to talk with you on Monday. This Monday is supposed to be the last lesson for him, but she might want to renew your classes. Please talk with her!"

Mamoru is 13 years old, but he is aiming to pass the pre-second grade of EIKEN. The level of this grade is "about one who graduates junior high school." Therefore, it means his English is very good! Maybe it's because he is a returnee. But he didn't live in an English-speaking country. Also, he is not a Japanese. Therefore?? his mother is VERY, VERY eager to make him a multilingual boy!

After his lesson, his mother was waiting for me.
Just after customary greetings, she eyed on me saying, "So, what do you think about my son? Do you think my son will pass the second grade of EIKEN next year?"
...I was at a loss for an answer. Mamoru just took the EIKEN last week, and he is on the border. I predict he will fail it because his score needs one more to pass it. But I think he will be successful next year! But so far, his goal is "the pre-second grade."
Why is she talking about the second grade???

She continued talking, "I know he is on the border now to pass the pre-second grade.
But I set his goal is "to pass the pre-second grade when he is 7th grade, and to pass the second grade in 8th grade. Can you guarantee him if he continues taking your lessons?"
...Then, I understood what kind of "talk" this is!
"Well, I can't guarantee. But I'll do my best to help him." I was trying to "do my best" tp talk with HER...
The mother was still being aggressive, " I understand if you can't guarantee. But you know, taking private lessons here is very expensive, so we need some incentives. There are some cram schools specified for EIKEN. Should we go there or continue your lessons?"
...Well, I recommend you to go to one of the EIKEN cram schools! Because this is an English conversation school. I am not be trained to teach EIKEN!
...I said that in my mind, but of course I didn't say it to the mother. If I did it, I can't be guaranteed to keep my job!!
"...Let's see, I think private lesson is best for him because he is much smarter than other kids. To pass a test, there are two important things. One is to analyze former questions of the test, and the other is to overcome your week points. I guarantee I can cover those for him."
"...OK. We will think about it, and contact you."
Still, PRICING me, the mother and Mamoru left the school.

What was going on here!! If you want to be guaranteed to pass the test, just work harder and harder by yourself! Going a language school doesn't mean the school "enchants" you to make your English perfect!!

If I keep this idea, I will not be guaranteed to be a good teacher? I don't know!!!

No comments: