Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cult group?

At the beginning of today's business meeting, the head teacher, Toshi, said, "we achieved, "the spirits" this month again! We have been covering it six consecutive months, which is really good!"

...I need to explain. The language school I work for is a private school, so we have to make a profit. Every school branch is supposed to cover the branch's expense and the head quarter's one because the headquarter doesn't make a profit. The aim is called "achieving the spirits" (in my school term.) But you know, it is very hard to make a good profit all the time!

However, our school branch usually can do it. "Therefore," Toshi smiled, "The project leader of the headquarters calls us, "the cult group!""
We laughed to hear that, but it might be true.
All of my branch's stuff, especially the head teacher, Toshi, and the manager, Rie, are really PERSISTENT to achieve the spirit. It may sound dirty because achieving the spirit means making much money... But whenever I see they are talking with students, I couldn't stop admiring them.
Their consulting is really courteous, kind, careful, and friendly! That's why many students decide to take more classes, and buy our special study materials.
Actually, some college students are applying for the job at our school!

Two foreign teachers and me have been "involved" by Toshi and Rie.
I am only one part time teacher who always attends business meetings, so sometimes I feel "Do I have to do that? I am a part time teacher, so I don't get paid mostly except for teaching classes..." But whenever I saw their "spirits(literally!,) I was like infected their passion.

I strongly think the keys of successful business is communication of co-workers.
Toshi and Rie are really good people, and good at "praising" us.
Especially, Toshi often says to me,"Since you came to the school, we have achieved the spirits! You are our lucky girl!" or "What a great work! You are a REAL PRO!" etc, etc, so I have been flattered and encouraged to work...
But it's good! I can learn a lot from my co-workers. There are no envy, meanness, and distrust among us. There are passion, friendship, and especially, sense of humor! Our business meetings are always fulled with laughing.

...By the way, do you remember the mother of my private junior high student, whom I refereed in the "guarantee" article? Yes! The one who said to me, "Can you guarantee my son is going to pass the second grade of EIKEN next year?"
I didn't expect she would come back. I rather thought, "Yeah! Then, I can go back home earlier on Monday!( His class is the last class of Monday)"
...But, she decided to let the son continue my private lesson!
She said to Rie, "I'll leave my son to Keiko sensei!"
...I am haunted by another cult!?? That is scary!!!

No comments: