Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chinese Invasion Power of Ginza???

My hubby and I had a date(you know, we had been married for 7 years & now we are like "brothers" though...) in Ginza. Ginza is a traditional "fashion" area in Tokyo, like "Rodeo Street" in L.A!!
There are many authentic designer shops!

We went to Burberry, Mikimoto (pearl accessory shop), Tiffany, Swarovski, and so on. Among people who were straddling Ginza, some people were OBVIOUSLY wearing expensive watches, clothes, or jewelry.
Then, we noticed...most of those people were speaking...CHINESE.

One of my students work for a shop in Ginza. A few weeks ago, she said to me.
"Keiko sensei, now Ginza has almost been dominated by Chinese travelers!!"
I thought she was kidding, but... Whenever we entered prestigious shops, people who bought many clothes or accessories were...Chinese.
I envy them because one Chinese lady bought my favorite Burberry's trench coat without a hesitation. The coat cost 140,000yen!! She bought other clothes, too.
Looking at those rich Chinese people at corner of our eyes, we enjoyed "seeing" luxurious clothes & accessories.

Dinner? Speaking of Ginza, of course we had SUSHI!!
I want to say so, but my hubby is natural-born?? "Nagoya" person. There is one Miso-katsu restaurant in Ginza, so we ate lots of Misokatsu.

It's a great holiday, seriously!!!
But I'd like to know just "a" thing...why are those Chinese people so rich???
What are they doing???

2 comments:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

I watched the program about Chinese people in Ginza few years ago. It was probably on CNN. BTW, Hiroshi & I are also "7 year itch" but not itchy...

keiko said...

Junko chan,

Oh, a few years ago!
It has been maybe five years since I went to Ginza last time, so I didn't notice this had been happening!!