Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Prejudice

When I observed Emily's (my preceding teacher) class, Riho, a two-year-old girl, didn't concentrate on the class AT ALL. She was always distracted by other things, didn't repeat the teacher's English at all( that is normal for very small kids, though..,) and she was always whispering something in Japanese.
Emily said, "It's hard to teach Riho. She doesn't concentrate on classes at all."

When I taught her twice, Riho was the same. However, when I met a former teacher at the party, she said, "Oh, I taught Riho when she was a baby! She understood English REALLY well even she was so young! She is a smart girl!"
Seriously??? Riho...is??

For me, teaching kids is MUCH MORE harder than teaching adults because I don't understand what kids are thinking about!! However, today, I tried to remove my prejudice for Riho. I tried to believe, "she is a REALLY smart girl!!"

My English school has curriculum for each classes, so, I was focused on "how I can teach the kids today's vocabulary and structure sentences."
That is important, but...in the case of kids' classes, sometimes (could be always) things are not going on as I want to carry on.

Today, I followed Riho's curiosity. Then...I found she knew a lot of English vocabulary!! Just after she was satisfied with what she did, I told her today's structure sentences.
Then, she could repeat the sentences!!

Well, I, such a raw teacher, should "experiment" many ways...
Oh, Wednesday, I have the most difficult class. That is 4 & 5 year-old-kids class.
Which experiment shall I do?? It takes time...

No comments: