Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Lie is learning

My first class of the week is a private lesson with a 70-year-old psychiatrist, Mr.S.
The second class is a "Baby" class with a mommy. Now, there is just one girl in this class. Mami, she is one-year-old.

Every week, I found interesting how human beings learn foreign language...by their age.
Mr.S, who is the oldest student of mime, always tries to memorize everything. He also struggles to elicit vocabulary. Additionally, he works hard to distinguish the theories. For example, yesterday he asked me, "What are the differences among travel, trip, tour, and excursion?"

On the other hand, Mami, who is the youngest student of mime, doesn't think anything. (Off course! Because she is one-year-old!) She just mimics me, or repeats me (when she feels inclined to.)

It is almost impossible for Mami to memorize an English sentence, but she can mimic exactly what I say. I mean, pronunciation. She can't "elicit" the word because she doesn't have English knowledge so far, but she can soak up the "sound."
Mr.S. is a REALLY smart person, who is an expert of psychiatry, so he can memorize sentences. However, it is really hard for him to mimic "exact" pronunciation.

Generally, it is important for kids to "enjoy" lessons. Adults need to "elicit" their English knowledge. When I compare to Mr.S and Mami, the difference of learning is really interesting to me.

What I learned at least was "People should learn something all life long!!"
If you want to start learning something, it's never too late. The sooner, the better!!

No comments: