Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Role Model

I have many dreams. But if I sum them up succinctly, "My ultimate dream is being like Sally."

Sally was my tutor when I was in U.S. She is a 75-year-old (if I think her age incorrectly, sorry, Sally!) English teacher. She runs her English education business. Originally, she was an English teacher of elementary school. After she got married and her four sons grew up, she took Ph.D. degree. When she became an professor of linguistics, she was 45-years-old.

When she was taking a Ph.D, she took almost every certificates related to English education. After she retired her professor job, she started private English education business.

Even I introduce her profile quickly, you must think "Wow! She must be SOMEBODY!!" However, I can't describe her marvelousness in a few minutes.

She always thinks about her students' improvement. During our sessions, she doesn't hesitate to correct my small mistakes. Actually, her corrections really helped my English improvement. Even now, while I am teaching, I am often reminded what Sally said. She pointed out English learners' common mistakes, so I can point the same things to my students.

She always welcomed the students' questions. I often asked her subtle questions.
Mostly, she answered them with reasonable theories. If she wasn't sure, she even inquired for the publishers or authors directly, and e-mailed me WITHIN 12 hours after the session. Additionally, she always supports my dreams. Every time I went to her home, she gave me some articles which werelated to my interests.
I have never met such a REAL professional like her.

She is also a wonderful mother. She often visits her four son's place. After one of her son got married to a Japanese lady, she started studying Japanese. She does anything for her husband, her sons, her daughters-in-law, and her grandchildren.

She is also also, a diligent volunteer for her community. Last year, she got an award of "the woman of the year" from her church because of her volunteer work.
She is a chairperson of Purdue's Women's Club. I can't believe how she can manage her jobs, doing household chores, volunteer work, and family activities.

The most important thing about her "marvelousness" is that "she is very happy person to be with!" She is always positive, supportive, sympathetic, and has sense of humor. Whenever I went to her home to take lessons, I was looking forward to not only learning English, but also just "talking with her."
I thought I was grateful to be in Lafayette(the city I lived) because just only I met Sally.
Of course I had other wonderful friends and teachers, but Sally has been "my ultimate role model."
When I left Lafayette, my hubby said, "I was afraid you might be going to say, "I will be Sally's adopted daughter and stay here!!!"
...I want her as a ROLE MODEL, not for a MOTHER, my darling...

Anyway, I want to be like her, in sum, "a lady who is a REAL professional, diligent, thoughtful, and friendly." She is so amazing lady that I don't think I can reach her even 40 years later, though...

Now, what I need are Sally's lessons and the Toastmasters (the speech group I belonged to in the U.S.) I will talk about the Toastmasters later.
Speaking of Sally, after I started to teach, I felt "I should restart to taking Sally's lessons!!"
Teaching takes responsibilities. When I was not sure my answers of students' questions, I confirmed them to my English native co-workers. They are diligent teachers, but actually, not so professionals like Sally.
It is very hard to find such a professional teacher like Sally, even though in the U.S!!
I know Sally can answer my questions SUCCINCTLY.
When I left U.S, I asked her to continue our sessions with Skype after I went back to Japan. She was pleased to accept it, but I have been busy with finding a job or other things, so we haven't started our sessions.
However, I should do that ASAP!! Whenever I think about Sally, I LONG FOR being like her, such a AUTHENTIC professional.

Oh, wait... I'm reminded of... I haven't replied her e-mail for a few weeks!!
I should write to my ROLE MODEL... Oh, clap!!!

No comments: