Sunday, July 06, 2008

Music is the key

Tonight, I had my English school's party. It was my welcome party, and mainly, Jessica's farewell party.
We had a "primary" party at our school. There were almost 40 students coming. I also met other part-time teachers, a former teacher, and a former manager.
ALL of them were REALLY cheerful...and SO energetic.

The students were also VERY unique. A lady who can read palms, a guy who just became an acupuncturist after he was retired, a girl who traveled all over Europe alone, a singer, and a martial art teacher...
Some of them were college students, but one boy traveled & worked in some Asian countries before he became a student, and another boy was a soccer player in Italy...SO UNIQUE!!

After we talked & talked for three hours, we went to Karaoke.
We were a group consisting of teens to 50's. Our songs have lots of variations.
From Bump of Chicken to Umezawa Tomio...

But we know American songs, so we can sing along Bob (from America)'s and Jessica (from Australia)'s songs. Most students tried to sing American songs too, like Bon Jovi, Carpenters, or Backstreet boys. I sang Avril Lavigne and Rihanna's songs.

I thought, "Uhh! Music could be the key to enjoy together among international people!" One of my friends, who goes to Cambodia often as a volunteer, said, " I use music A LOT to build a friendship with children." Ummm, that's right!

I always enjoy Karaoke even with unfamilliar people! That 's a great way to have an enjoyable memory together☆

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn’t you enjoy singing songs, Keiko-san?

I strongly agree with you! Music helps people feel connected each other.

your blog remind me of an event of two years ago.

When I was in an English conversation school, I went to a Karaoke bar with teachers, classmates and staff members. At that time, I was not good at English, so I couldn’t have a conversation with native teachers. But at a Karaoke bar, I sang, “Let it be” with a native teacher. I enjoyed singing the song. And I thought in my mind, “Oh, I can’t speak English but I can sing the song with her! It ‘s soooooo fun! ” Since then, I tried to talk to her in English. Of course, my English was not well, but we always chatted before or after lesson. Music is the key!


I think music has a lot of emotional power. We often listen to certain music because we want to feel a certain way. While pregnant, I always felt sick and took negative outlook. One day, I listened to a song on the radio. “Man! I Feel like a Woman!“ by SHANIA TWAIN. I didn’t know the lyrics clearly, but the song was very rhythmical music. I began to hum to myself without knowing it. After a while, I felt much better. Since then, I listen to this song when I feel depressed.

Music is the key to people. No life has ever been without it.

keiko said...

Yuko chan,

Thank you for posting and sorry for my delay in writing you back!!
I hope many students who were at the party felt just like what you experienced.
American entertainment has big effect on us. Movies, dramas, and music. I think singing English songs is helepful to learn English rhythm and pronunciation. New American pop songs could be practice of "tongue twister."
I love challenging to sing those songs.
Maybe we should go to Karaoke together next time☆