Thursday, July 03, 2008

Co-workers

Today is (It's already past the midnight! so, "was?") the WORST day I've ever had at my school... I had three "parents observation" classes, and the first one was not "a class." Actually, it was a "zoo."

That was 4&5-year-old kids class. There are two boys in the class, and I had heard those two were handfuls. But I taught them kindly & they seemed to like me. However, today...things were different. Maybe they were too excited to have mothers, so they didn't listen to me, "at all." I tried to teach them in many ways using lots of props, but nothing could keep their concentration.

I had been confident with talking parents because I am old enough& I'm an emcee...but after the class, the first words I said were "I am sorry!!"
The mothers told me " I understand how hard it is to teach my kid." So, they are good people, but... It was like a "hell" to catch the one trying to get out of the class, make another one crying & lying on his face stand up, keep saying "Stop it! Moms are watching! Be good boys!" etc, etc... After the class, actually I was so discouraged that I was not sure if I keep doing this job.

However, all of my co-workers encouraged me. Misaki, an assistant manager, said, "You don't have to worry! Their mothers can't discipline the boys, so they expect us too much. You did what you can, so it's OK."
Jessica said, "The boys couldn't even stay in a classroom, so you did a great job!"
Also, Bob, who teaches the boys too, said, "We meet them just 50 minutes per week. We can't discipline them. So, don't mind."
Oh, thank you! My open class was not successful, so today could be the worst day...
But my co-workers encouraged me a lot & I felt so grateful to have them. In that meaning, it could be the "best" day.

After I came back home being exhausted at 10:30, my hubby said to me.
"Hi, mom! I'm STARVING!! Feed me!!" I always prepare dinner for him, but he doesn't want to serve it by himself.
I forgot about it...I have a "kid" at my home!!!

2 comments:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

I recently attended parents observation class of Erika's Japanese school. It wasn't a hell like you experienced but there were some kids just could not sit still and their parents seemed not to care much about it. I agreed with your co-workers. It is the parents responsibility to teach kids to respect their teachers and classmates. Otsukaresamadeshita.

keiko said...

Junko chan,

Thank you for your kind comment.
In the case of our school, which is not an obligatory school like elementary school, some parents are really concerned about the qualities of teachers & textbooks, or curriculum. That's why I was nervous... But I understand their feelings.
Well, this week, I imagined the most difficult job is a "mother."
Otsukaresamadesu!!